icon

trunk release in 2002 corolla?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxcrx 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2008 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

I have done aftermarket car alarms on my previous cars but was wondering how would you install one on a 2002 toyota corolla with factory keyless entry? What are the wires to the unit from the factory or do I have to install a new alarm? I'm looking at the key fob and see that there are 4 buttons...two for the door, one panic, and one with the trunk release.

Can someone help me find the wire to the pop trunk so I can install one? where is the factory keyless entry brain usually located? the wire color?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

maxcrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2008 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

opps I just want to mention that all I want to do is add on the pop trunk/remote trunk release feature while still keeping the factory keyless entry.

Is it possible cuz on my key fob there is a third button for the trunk.

Thanks

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,691
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 01, 2008 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

Is there a button in the car to pop the trunk?    Or is it a mechanical pull thing?

If there is a button, simply get to the back of the button and duplicate what the button does.

maxcrx 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2008 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
its a pull lever. i just want to pop the trunk with the remote.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,691
Posted: June 01, 2008 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
If it is a mechanical lever you will need to equip the lock on the trunk with an actuator.   This will require a wire run to the battery and a relay.  You will need to find out which wire from your alarm is the Auxillary (or trunk pop) wire.  This wire will trip the relay to apply power to the actuator.   Not going to be just a simple wire connection for you.   Let me know if you need more details.
desh187 
Copper - Posts: 310
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2008 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
2002 Corolla did not come with a remote trunk release on the remote and as you have mentioned that your oem remote has a trunk button,which has to be an aftermarket system.
Remove the underdash panel and find the control module,it should have 2nd channel output for a trunk release.Add a trunk release solenoid and wire it to the alarm.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Posted: June 02, 2008 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, so basically you have two separate things going on. One is that you want an electric solenoid to open the trunk, and the second is that you want to open it with a remote.
1. Trunk motor.
There are aftermarket trunk solenoids on the market. They're not expensive, but tricky to get the cable adjusted properly.
I would go to a junkyard (or even a car dealer that will let you look at their cars), find a Toyota that has a power trunk, and see if maybe your latch is similar.
Most 2002-up Camry, as well as the 2009 Corolla, have a power trunk release. Examine the mechanism and see if you can adapt it to your car.
For example, I got a junkyard trunk motor from a well-equipped Buick, and it bolted right into a '91 Corsica, with no trouble. It lasted the life of the car, and didn't require any messing around or readjustments.
2. Opening the trunk with the remote.
I agree with desh187. Toyota doesn't supply remotes with unused buttons, and furthermore, the Corolla didn't get factory keyless until 2003.
You defeinitely have an aftermarket system in there, and you should be able to use that trunk button you have. (You'll have to learn to wire up a relay, and you'll have to run a wire back to the trunk of the car.)
Go to www.remotesunlimited.com or www.keylessride.com, and type in the FCC ID # from the back of your remote. Post a link to the results here if you can. Maybe one of us will recognize what system you have.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic