icon

oem amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
NiceGuy818 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
Do most of the amps have orignally amplifier? How can you know if the car has it or not? I installed a subwoofer on my mercedes and the sub sounds like crap, why? I connected my RCA adapter to the back speakers is that ok? thanks
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

Umm  kinda confused by your post.  What kind of amp are you using, did you run the power and signal down opposite sides of the vehicle, did you test for correct polarity when tapping in to the rear speakers.....

And what do you mean when you say it "sounds like crap"?  Do you mean it's distorted?  Not loud enough?  Too loud?  No bass? 

Ethan
-----
"Patience, persistence, and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success"
Donate to the12volt.com
NiceGuy818 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
how can i test the polarity? I got a MTX mono amplifier 1500watts, I got the same thing in my honda sounds awesome. The batter of the mercedes is at the back so I connected there and the RCA adapter I connected from the back speakers since I wouldn't find the speaker wires from behind the headunit. When i put it up  it give distortion and sound wierd can't really explain.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2003 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
You can test polarity with a 9v battery. Hook up a wire from the + and - of the battery to what you think is the + and - of a speaker. If the speaker Pops outward (away from the magnet on the back) then the polarity is correct and you have correctly identified the + and - of the speaker. If the speaker Pulls in (towards the magnet on the back of the speaker) then you have the polarity reversed. This is how you can identify which terminal on the speaker is + and - when they are not marked (as most factory speakers are not marked). Now that you know which is + and which is -, do you still have the correct leads going to the + and - of the RCA adapter?
Another question, when you say "RCA adapter", are you referring to a Line Out Converter (LOC) like this one, or did you just splice an RCA plug onto the end of some wires for a homemade adapter? If you did the latter (homemade adapter) then you deffinately need to get a LOC. Even if the car doesn't have a factory amplifier, the headunit is still putting out an amplified signal (High Level signal). If you fed that signal into the RCA Low Level inputs of an aftermarket amp without converting it first, then that would cause a lot of distortion.
Third question, why wouldn't you find the speaker wires from behind the headunit?
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
NiceGuy818 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
i couldn't find it because there is alot of wires that are the same color.. i used a (loc)..
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Posted: May 30, 2003 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
If the polarity is correct (meaning you wired the + and - to the LOC correctly), then you may have to adjust the gain settings on the LOC. It adjusts the signal to properly match the amp.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
NiceGuy818 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2003 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
I checked everything was connected right at this point I'm thinking that since I connected the (LOC) to the back speakers right directly from the speaker, the factory amp may make it sound like this. What do you guys think?
tom small 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

Try unpluggling one rca with the system playing and see if there is an increase in bass.  You may have the speaker level inputs out of phase on your loc.  (the positive and negative may be reversed on one speaker input)

Also verify that the subs are playing in phase with eachother.  You can take a battery to the sub wires and make sure they both "pop" in the same direction.

Does your car have the factory subs in the rear deck, and if so, did you tap the loc there or at the rear speakers?  I have also seen factory components in the rear deck - verify you have tapped a woofer as opposed to a tweeter speaker wire.

Good Luck!

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2003 at 7:43 PM / IP Logged  
what year mb do you have cuase all new style mb;s have factory amps now the back speakers alone are crossed over that is why you are getting crappy sounding outcome,. you have to connect to the front door speakers at the output wires of the amp when adding a after market amp and keeping the factory amp let me know i can help mail me.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic