the12volt.com spacer
icon

Install Radio From 2005 To 2014 Ford F-150

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
phil2014 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2024 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phil2014
I'm trying to install a radio from a 05 F150 to a 14 F150. Another source told me it should be possible but referred me here if not this will be a short discussion. Physically they are the same size and have the same type of plugs. I can mount it without issue, but the wiring is the problem. I have a male and female pigtail to make an adaptor cable for the large plug but need the wiring diagram to confirm wire colors and pin positions in the plugs. another issue is the small plug I don't know if I need pigtails for it or not.
2005 radio part # 5L3T-18C869-AC     2014 part # CL-3T-19C157-BB
I hope I have provided the needed information.
Before you ask why? I hate touch screens, I just want a radio and I'm half deaf, so stereo is meaningless
Thanks
phil2014 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2024 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phil2014
Vehicle is a 2014 F150 with a smart key.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,691
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 30, 2024 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
The 2014 truck does not have a switched power wire at the radio. You will need to find a wire that goes on and off with the key.
Metra's website is down at the moment, but this is 2 of the 3 things you will need to get it wired up. Do you have a way to mount the unit?
71-5520 harness that will plug into the older radio with industry standard wire colors.
40-eu10 antenna adapter that will plug into the antenna cable of the 14, and converts that to an old fashioned Motorola antenna end to plug into the older radio
You will also need the harness that plugs into the 14 harness that will give you industry standard wire colors so you can wire it up to the 70-5520
I will check later today to see if their website is up and running to get you a part number of the above harness.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
phil2014 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2024 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phil2014
Thanks for responding. I have the male and female plugs and or socket. The antenna adapter. Do I need anything for the small plug. I'm guessing I need a wiring diagram to match the 2 radios harnesses. Just a note this is the first I've tried to do this.
Thanks again
i am an idiot 
Posted: June 30, 2024 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
The only plug the older one needs is the larger one.
Let's Go Brandon Brown. Congratulations on your first Xfinity Series Win. LGBFJB
phil2014 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2024 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phil2014
I apologize if I sound ignorant or rude or both, not my intention. I looked through everything I can find here but are there any actual wiring diagrams? I found several post describing pins and wire colors, but without at least a diagram of the plugs and pin location there in I'm not going to be able to do much.
I'll be the first to admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so if I'm looking in the wrong places here please let me know.
Thanks again
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 01, 2024 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote i am an idiot
Now that Metra's website is up and running, and re reading your post, this will be a piece of cake.
The reason I suggested the harnesses with "Industry Standard Wiring" was because you will not need wire colors of the vehicle. You will need a 70-5520 and a 71-5520 and a 40-eu10 antenna adapter. You do not need any wire colors if you get these 2 harnesses.
Connect all but the red wires of the 70 to the 71. Black to black, yellow to yellow, white to white,........   Connect the red of the 71 to a switched power source. Do nothing with the red of the 70, if you notice it goes to an empty spot of the truck's wiring harness.
phil2014 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2024 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phil2014
Wow great! Sounds straightforward. One question. I know it sounds redundant but does the small plug just need to be left unplugged if it's not needed. Just want to sure I understand.
Thanks so much again.
phil2014 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2024 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote phil2014
Thanks to all this worked like it made that way. Had 2 mismatch wires, but sorted it out and 6 or more extras.
Again thanks so much!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic