the12volt.com spacer
icon

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe, Remote Start Door Lock Issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
distilled23 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2024 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote distilled23
03 tahoe has remote start already installed and used a XpressKit xk01 amdl for the passlock 2 and door locks. Everything was fine and the xk01 was damaged, ordered a new one with the same wiring and was hoping to plug and play but doorlocks will only work once then it's like the xk01 doesn't save programing. I plug it in and light stays solid, turn the key to the on position, light flashes 4 times and it says to hold button on it down to it rapid flashes and it should turn off but it doesn't, it seems to go into user settings I belive. When I use my remote start remote it will lock or unlock, vise versa and then no more after 2, it will however start it no problem. I would like to just keep it in place since I don't want to mess with the wiring since it was fine before the old one was damaged if possible. I've tried to start it after it's first 4 flashes and nothing, I've tried holding the button down on it while plugging it in with key on and same results. Am I missing something, or could it have the wrong programing out of the box?
Anthony
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,800
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
It's been a while since I used a Directed XK0x bypass module but...
First check the XK01's label. From the factory they are usually AMDL firmware and so marked. Please note that with the XKLoader cable you can change the firmware. If this was a factory fresh / unmolested module you should be OK. If it was previously used then all bets are off.
Remember that the AMDL firmware can be set to run in any of 7 Modes. For your application (2003 Tahoe) you need Mode 4. While the 4 flashes you mentioned sounds like it's Mode 4 it could also mean the operational Mode has already been selected. That would coincide with the fact that holding the programming button gets you into Option Selection menu. Here is an excerpt from the XK01 w/AMDL firmware install guide:
1) Plug the 10 PIN harness into the module. LED will turn ON solid.
2) Turn the ignition key to the ON position. LED will turn off then it will begin a flash pattern that matches the vehicle type selection.
(The default vehicle type selection is Type 1.)
*If the module has already been programmed to the vehicle, LED will flash 4 times. If this happens, skip to step 4.
3) To change the vehicle type, press and release the program button until LED flash pattern matches the selected vehicle type.
LED flash pattern will match the Vehicle Type selected. Example: 1 flash = Type 1, 2 flashes = Type 2 and so on.
4) To save the vehicle type selection, press and hold the program button until the LED flashes rapidly. The module will then exit the
programming. The module is now programmed. *If LED comes on solid, turn the key to start the engine.
I would do the above in order. At Step 3, press and release the programming button repeatedly. It should go thru the seven possible Modes. Stop on Mode 4 and do Step 4 to save it. The XK01 comes from the factory in Mode 1 and you want to be sure you are in Mode 4. I can remember having to re-flash the AMDL firmware sometimes to fully reset a module. Hopefully you won't need to do that.
Soldering is fun!
distilled23 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 12:44 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote distilled23
So you're saying press repeatedly instead of holding it down like it says? Since it's so old I can't find anyone that can upload the firmware if that's my issue. It does in fact say amdl on the label also.
Anthony
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Yes, press and release the programming to change the install type to Mode 4. You will press and hold the programming button to lock it in after getting Mode 4 selected.
If your local BestBuy sells Viper products, they should have access to the firmware and have the XKLoader cable to check and do it. However I'm thinking that if it can handle the Passlock2, you have AMDL flashed on the bypass.
Soldering is fun!
distilled23 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote distilled23
No luck, connect the xk01, light is solid and when I turn the key it blinks 4 times and guess off, then if I press the button all it does is blink once no matter how many times I press it. I then hold it down and it blinks repeatedly then goes into a fast blink to slow blink, if I press it till I get a fast blink and 4 slow blinks then hold it till it repeatedly blinks it will go off. I can then get a lock and unlock but that's it no more after that, remote starts just fine. I've contacted viper dealers and they have no idea what xpresskit is and won't touch it.
Anthony
kreg357 
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
It's an old product and Viper got bought out by AudioVox a couple of years ago. I still have a XKLoader2 cable but no access to DEI anymore. If I remember, it used to be a stand-alone program call VIP or XpressKit. Can't find it on my current PC.
Soldering is fun!
distilled23 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote distilled23
Yeah mine came with a cable for it but not the boxloader, my old manual says go to bypasskit.com. Just talked to best buy and they said they don't have the stuff to do it nor have they done one lol, car toys said they won't do it because it's not a viper product. Guess I'll look into what would be the easiest way to get this to work and take as little rewiring as possible. Thanks for all the help.
Anthony
distilled23 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote distilled23
Figured it out on accident....... so after reading about the xk bypasses I saw on another post that you could reset it if you go into mode 8 and unlock with remote. So I held the button down on the xk01 with the key on I plugged it in, it blinked 4 times then repeatedly flashed. Then just to see how many times it would blink after every press it went to 8 so I remembered that post to I hit the remote unlock, which then light stayed solid so I turned the key, pressed it 4 times, then held till it flashed repeatedly then actually stayed on after that so I started the car with the key and it went off. It's working great now. I was about i give up but just to see how many flashes I would get it gave 8 and this is only for 7 types so I knew it had to be reset option. Took some time, lots of reading and reaching out for help but I figure it saved me time and money for a whole new unit just for the door locks.
Anthony
kreg357 
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote kreg357
Thanks, that's good info although I doubt I'll ever use another XK01 bypass module. My way of re-flashing the module worked OK back in the day.
Good luck with the Tahoe!
Soldering is fun!
distilled23 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2024 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote distilled23
Don't say that, I never thought I would do it again but once someone drove a self tapping screw thru mine I was forced to do it or pay for a whole new unit...... Thanks for the help ..
Anthony

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic