the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Clipping Indicators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

wayland1985 wrote:
...VU meter.... That's what I was relating the CLIPPING indicator to.

You'd be correct. your amp has a VU (volume unit) meter.  The LEDs on those amps are simply output level indicators.  You may be clipping your signal if the red LEDs light.  The blue ones are OK and should light up.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
wayland1985 wrote:
the gains are at no more than 20%....    
I'm guessing that you're not clipping until it reaches the RED zone....
YEAH, NOT CLIPPING THE AMP, (MAYBE)! It does not matter WHERE your gain controls are set... If you are driving you head-unit into clipping, it won't matter where the level matching potentiometers are set. (I hate the word "gain control" - an amp is a FIXED GAIN DEVICE - but I don't want to go anywhere NEAR that right now) Also, if you are driving the head-unit into clipping, but you are still below the clipping level of the amplifier, you are still sending high-level DC to your speaker's voice-coils, AND those POS light shows will tell you NOTHING important... Damn Audiobahn garbage! Diagnostics, VU meters, chrome, flames, whatever... just bells and whistles to make a buyer THINK he is getting more than he paid for... Gimme a REAL amplifier with NOTHING on it except power and signal in, and speakers out. Almost always, with VERY few exceptions, the less you buy the more you get.
Sorry. Just had enough with the Audiobahn questions...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  

What's wrong with a few "bells and whistles"? 

~wayland
wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
And now that I have 2 minutes,  let me ramble on a bit about why I have Audiobahn products....  haemphyst.
About 4 years ago I had paid off my first car (I had it for about a year and a half when i finished paying off the beater).  Immediately I started saving up for the audio components I wanted to put in.  I was still in highschool, so  money was tough to save up,  with all sorts of odds and ends to pay for,  while only working a few hours a week at minimum wage... 
So I saved up what I could, working long hours and busting my "butt" just so I could buy what was (and still is) considered THE BEST OF THE BEST for my car.
When the day came,  I ordered an Eclipse Head unit,  with 4 Boston Acoustics speakers,  and a JL Audio 4 channel amplifier.  The Subwoofers were a little to much for me to buy at the time, so I had to wait to save up.
No more than a month after having them professionally installed at a reputable car shop here in Boston,  the Eclipse head unit suddenly stopped sending out a signal to the amplifier.  After digging up the receipts, I went to the shop where I got new eclipse head unit under warranty.   Unfortunately,  another 7 weeks later, it died again.    I then just told them to give me a new one,  and sold it on Ebay....used the money I made and bought an Alpine head unit, which hasn't failed me to date....  So I am currently biased against Eclipse at this point.
The JL failed me soon after.  2 channels went progressively mute, until one day they ceased to work.  THis was about a year after purchase. 
I then scrapped the amplifier, and did research on other brands.  I had many personal references to brands Like Audiobahn for Amplifiers,  Infinity to speakers,  and, of course,  Alpine for the head unit.  Seeing as I already had the alpine head unit,  i went out and bought a 4 channel audiobahn amplifier, and kept my boston acoustics...
THe audiobahn has been running without a problem for almost 3 years now.  So when it came to buying a Subwoofer setup last year,  I went the route that has been working for me.  I bought an Audiobahn 18001D amplifier on clearance, and two audiobahn woofers.  That amp was a model several years old, and had problems, but with one call to audiobahn, they walked me through some troubleshooting tips, and determined the amp was at fault.  They mailed me a form to fill out,  with an Return authorization number, and i sent it to them with a nine dollar check to cover return handling.  In a little over a month (this is during christmas holiday mind you)  I got back a brand new audiobahn 18001DT amplifier ( I got it back last week, which is why I'm trying to figure out what this CLIPPING LED thing is trying to tell me....the older model never had one).
So teh moral of my story is,  sometimes JL Audio and Eclipse break too.  Unfortunately,  in my case,  both have broken from my presence.  I replaced them with Audiobahn because of the price,  because of personal references,  because of the availability (JL and Eclipse can only be bought at specialized shops, as you know), and most of all,  BECAUSE OF THE APPLICATION!!  The audiobahn amplifiers had the specifications I needed for my system.  So far,  the company has done an excellent job standing by their product.  Call anytime during their business hours,  and you get a REAL LIVE person answering the phones,   not some,  "DIAL 1 FOR..."  crap.  They didn't hassle me about my broken amplifier, and sent me a new one under warranty. 
And after busting my butt trying to buy JL audio and Eclipse,  I ecpected at least for them to last.  I paid a good amount of money for them,  sacrificing my time,  and in the end they failed me.  After spending that much money I expected more,  but didn't get what I thought I did.  Obviously I'm quite biased here,  given my situation,  and many people have never had a problem with their JL or Eclipse.  I give myself the right to persuade people away from buying JL and Eclipse because of my experience, but when people who have never used a product such as Audiobahn,  and talk about it like it truly is crap (and I understand most of you who do downtalk it are just heckling the owners,  as I heckle those with SONY products)  I get a bit irritated.  Afterall,  my "CRAP" has outlived and outperformed that overpriced stuff out there...  Clipping Indicators - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
~wayland
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

wayland1985 wrote:
And now that I have 2 minutes,  let me ramble on a bit about why I have Audiobahn products....  haemphyst.
About 4 years ago I had paid off my first car (I had it for about a year and a half when i finished paying off the beater).  Immediately I started saving up for the audio components I wanted to put in.  I was still in highschool, so  money was tough to save up,  with all sorts of odds and ends to pay for,  while only working a few hours a week at minimum wage... 
So I saved up what I could, working long hours and busting my "butt" just so I could buy what was (and still is) considered THE BEST OF THE BEST for my car.
When the day came,  I ordered an Eclipse Head unit,  with 4 Boston Acoustics speakers,  and a JL Audio 4 channel amplifier.  The Subwoofers were a little to much for me to buy at the time, so I had to wait to save up.
No more than a month after having them professionally installed at a reputable car shop here in Boston,  the Eclipse head unit suddenly stopped sending out a signal to the amplifier.  After digging up the receipts, I went to the shop where I got new eclipse head unit under warranty.   Unfortunately,  another 7 weeks later, it died again.    I then just told them to give me a new one,  and sold it on Ebay....used the money I made and bought an Alpine head unit, which hasn't failed me to date....  So I am currently biased against Eclipse at this point.
The JL failed me soon after.  2 channels went progressively mute, until one day they ceased to work.  THis was about a year after purchase. 
I then scrapped the amplifier, and did research on other brands.  I had many personal references to brands Like Audiobahn for Amplifiers,  Infinity to speakers,  and, of course,  Alpine for the head unit.  Seeing as I already had the alpine head unit,  i went out and bought a 4 channel audiobahn amplifier, and kept my boston acoustics...
THe audiobahn has been running without a problem for almost 3 years now.  So when it came to buying a Subwoofer setup last year,  I went the route that has been working for me.  I bought an Audiobahn 18001D amplifier on clearance, and two audiobahn woofers.  That amp was a model several years old, and had problems, but with one call to audiobahn, they walked me through some troubleshooting tips, and determined the amp was at fault.  They mailed me a form to fill out,  with an Return authorization number, and i sent it to them with a nine dollar check to cover return handling.  In a little over a month (this is during christmas holiday mind you)  I got back a brand new audiobahn 18001DT amplifier ( I got it back last week, which is why I'm trying to figure out what this CLIPPING LED thing is trying to tell me....the older model never had one).
So teh moral of my story is,  sometimes JL Audio and Eclipse break too.  Unfortunately,  in my case,  both have broken from my presence.  I replaced them with Audiobahn because of the price,  because of personal references,  because of the availability (JL and Eclipse can only be bought at specialized shops, as you know), and most of all,  BECAUSE OF THE APPLICATION!!  The audiobahn amplifiers had the specifications I needed for my system.  So far,  the company has done an excellent job standing by their product.  Call anytime during their business hours,  and you get a REAL LIVE person answering the phones,   not some,  "DIAL 1 FOR..."  crap.  They didn't hassle me about my broken amplifier, and sent me a new one under warranty. 
And after busting my butt trying to buy JL audio and Eclipse,  I ecpected at least for them to last.  I paid a good amount of money for them,  sacrificing my time,  and in the end they failed me.  After spending that much money I expected more,  but didn't get what I thought I did.  Obviously I'm quite biased here,  given my situation,  and many people have never had a problem with their JL or Eclipse.  I give myself the right to persuade people away from buying JL and Eclipse because of my experience, but when people who have never used a product such as Audiobahn,  and talk about it like it truly is crap (and I understand most of you who do downtalk it are just heckling the owners,  as I heckle those with SONY products)  I get a bit irritated.  Afterall,  my "CRAP" has outlived and outperformed that overpriced stuff out there...  Clipping Indicators - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Maybe you should have gotten a custom install or just had bad luck because I have never heard of either JL or Eclipse products fail like that. That, or you could have had it installed wrong...

I'm beginning to hate how the car audio market is massively moving towards bling over performance...*cough Audiobahn*. I'm sorry but I think you should have gave JL and Eclipse one more chance because Audiobahn just can't compare to them. If you look at the features on an Audiobahn amp you might realize they are all pretty much useless except for the basics. I don't think all that chrome helps the heatsink at all and who knows what their amps look like inside...

Ok im done Clipping Indicators - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

wayland1985 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
customsuburb wrote:

I don't think all that chrome helps the heatsink at all and who knows what their amps look like inside...

Ok im done Clipping Indicators - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

The last time I checked,  they had a circuit board and various other components  (looks like any other amp I've ever seen)..... Sorry for those of you who though there were little Mice in wheels powering them....
And while Chrome or flames may not improve performance....it sure as heck doesn't hurt performance.  Besides, I wasn't looking for a pretty amp when I was shopping (The thing is concealed half the time anyways).  The Audiobahn stuff had what I needed,  and in my experience was a reliable brand.
And yes it is VERY VERY odd that my Eclipse head unit broke twice in a few months,  but I assure you it was Installed Professionally at Richard Inferrera's shop in Boston ( www.richscartunes.com ), and it cost a pretty penny as well (I bought the Boston Acoustics from another store, and installed those myself).  As a matter of fact, I'm told that Rich actually dropped the Eclipse line because of problems he had with them.  (I'm sure if you call, he'll give you the story as to why he dropped Eclipse). 
When it came to my JL amp,  I wasn't going to deal with it.  After I lost sound to the channels, I scrapped the whole amp.  I wasn't going to deal with an amplifier I paid several hundred dollars on that was acting up like that... I was out of patience at taht point.
~wayland
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic