icon

hooking up 87 bose radio into 92

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
claytonjn 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1992 Camaro Convertible RS. When I bought it the installed aftermarket Kenwood HU wasn't working. I bought a cheap factory radio that I've been using for the time being, but I would like to get to work on my audio system. My plan is to use a OEM Bose HU (I want to keep the car looking stock), and upgrade the factory speakers. I purchased a Bose unit from an 87 Camaro. My first problem is that the connections are completely different than the ones for my current harness. IIRC, the connections were changed in 88, but I don't know if the pre-88 connections are the same for Bose/non-Bose HUs (I attached a photo of the back of the 87 Bose unit I want to install). I have found the correct harness for the large connector and what I believe to be the power connector, but I have no idea what the black wire up top and the red one are for... So First I need to figure out how to wire the 87 Bose HU up to my 92 Harness. The antenna jack is also different. If I'm not mistaken the 87 Bose HU takes what's called a Motorola antenna jack? If that is correct that won't be a problem because the hidden antenna I am purchasing is a "Motorola jack" style.
I have many more questions, but I would like to take this one step at a time. Thanks in advance for your help!
hooking up 87 bose radio into 92 -- posted image.
claytonjn 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2011 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
My other option would be to purchase this unit I found on ebay, it seems to have the 89-92 connections. My current harness has three connectors (one with power, ground, etc one for front speakers and one for rear speakers) but there is a space for a fourth connector...does the bose radio use this for the amps or something?
hooking up 87 bose radio into 92 -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic