the12volt.com spacer
icon

Standalone Starter Kill, Updated Compustar Version At The End

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ftb_soup 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2024 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ftb_soup
My KIA recently had its ignition torn out in an attempted theft. The would be thieves were not successful thank god, despite causing roughly $400 in damage.
I am now upgrading to a compustar cm900-as with the Q9 remote (1 compustar system for each of my two kias)
Since Im ripping the guts out and starting over with an actual alarm, thought I would post my Homemade rf starter kill that I had in both of my KIAs, while they are still in my hands.
These have been in my 2017 and 2021 kia since 2017 and 2021 respectively, and have worked flawlessly. With that said, Im not saying these are good ideas.
For the updated NO DRAW/NO DRAIN compustar version, you can skip to the end
Standalone starter kill Features
1. interrupts the low current starter signal wire located in the fuseboxs (I believe its either the pink or red connectors) (Normally open)
2. Has remote control
3. Has a bypass button (super hidden) for any emergency like the remote controll failing or the relay board itself breaking
4. Cheap, easy to make
The 12v + Signal to factory starter relay is interrupted, which means will not turn over until you a. press the remote or b. press and hold the momentary bypass switch
The board itself is powered from a fused always on, low current 12v signal, from the fuse box. (one of those tap/fuse insert things)
When the remote triggers the board the relay activates the ability to start the car. After 15s the relay automatically goes back to Normally Closed, acting again as a starter kill
Here are some pics:
Below: 4ma draw while car is at rest, 30 ma draw when activated to allow start. Good as a standalone low iq thief stopper.. however this is outdated if you have an actual compustar alarm system (see near end of post).
Standalone Starter Kill, Updated Compustar Version At The End -- posted image.
NO DRAW/NO DRAIN compustar version
Below: Updated version that works with compustar cm900as (and other cm brains) programmable pins 1-7 (pin 3 for my purposes), set to secure start n/o 4 mins and the +12v (tap into the main 12v red wire from the compustar brain for that)
When car alarm is disarmed the starter will be available for 2-10 mins (depending on time set). If the car has not been started within the time allotted, you just simply hit the disarm on the compustar remote for a fresh few mins before the starter is again disabled
The starter will ONLY become available when disarming from compustar remote. OEM unlock or car door unlock switch will NOT activate the starter (that's a good thing), which is super cool.
ft-elock has approx 120ma draw while alarm is activated, in order to kill the starter. my version has 30ma draw but the draw doesnt matter much if you go the secure start n/o route vs the standard blue/white starter kill wire + ignition wire setup.
The standard way draws power to keep the relay activated the entire time your alarm is on (no thanks), the secure start n/o way only draws power for a few mins after disarming alarm.
So essentially the secure start n/o way, draws 0 ma and thus keeping your battery (new or crappy) from being drained
Below: 30ma draw during the 2-10 mins its activated for, when alarm is disarmed (+12v goes to +, and programmed wire set to secure start n/o goes to the - side)
common on the relay would be populated by one side of your low current start signal wire, with the other side of that low signal starter wire going to n/o on relay
You could also just use the ft-elock itself. THERE IS A DIODE in the relay from compustar so pins 1-7 (pin 3 for my purposes) programmed to secure start n/o would go to pin 85 and +12v (could tap into the compustar main red wire for that) goes to pin 86.
I bring this up because some ft-elocks come wired backwards on pins 85/86. IGNORE the blue (supposed to represent -) and green (supposed to represent +) wires on the compustaar relay harness and pull the relay from harness, then look at the underside of the relay. You will see the pin numbers (87, 87a, 86, 85, 30) molded in.
pin 30 would get the +12v side of the low current starter signal wire and pin 87 would get the other side of that same low current starter signal wire (or the actual standard high current starter wire).
Then instead of 120ma getting drawn the entire time the alarm is on, you are only draining 120ma for those 2-10 mins after disarming.
lee.lopez 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2024 at 5:12 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote lee.lopez
Nice job Standalone Starter Kill, Updated Compustar Version At The End -- posted image.
ftb_soup 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2024 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ftb_soup
thank you thank you
side note. I forgot to add that the standalone version draws about 4ma all the time, 30ma when activated. the standalone version activates for 15 seconds when triggered with the remote.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic