icon

identical subs sound different

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
Well Wvsquirrel has said everything i was going to but i had to leave work! But i'm in total agreeance with him. (Excuse the spelling)
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 4:03 AM / IP Logged  
alright i went and messed with the gains, the subs sound the same now, the only problem that i have is that when i have only one sub on the bass is lower and louder, when both are on the bass becomes quiter and higher.? ne clues?
Quad L Handyman services
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
You must have something out of phase.
Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
how can i have something out of phase? i dont understand this whole phase concept?!
Quad L Handyman services
ualrbaseball 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

First of all, are you running the subs parallel or running a sub to each channel. Another thing is that you should check the ohms on the subs to see if they are reading 4ohm. The reason I say this is because I have 4 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12's in my Explorer.

Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

I am running the subs one per channel, what do you mean by        "Another thing is that you should check the ohms on the subs to see if they are reading 4ohm. The reason I say this is because I have 4 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12's in my Explorer. "

Quad L Handyman services
ualrbaseball 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
The reason I say that because if one of the subs is reading lower than 4ohm then it will recieve more power than the sub that is reading 4ohm. Less resistance means more power for the sub. 
And in my case if 1 of my 4 subs was reading less than the rest than one set of subs would recieve more power than the others creating a different sound. 
Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

after messing with the gains and setting them properly both subs sound the same, now the problem i have is that when i have one sub on, doesnt matter which, the spl is higher than when i have both on. like if i put the right RCA the right sub is loud but if i put both in its quiet again, if i plug in only the left  RCA the system is loud again. any ideas?

Quad L Handyman services
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 1:00 AM / IP Logged  
Just adding my 2 cents on the out of phase concept. I had the same problem, and I couldn't figure it out either. What I didn't realize was that I accidentally wired one of my subs the reverse of the other one, meaning the positive terminal of one of my subs was going to the negative connection of the amplifier while the other sub was wired correctly. What this did was make my subs travel in opposite directions, practically meaning one was pushing in and one was pushing out. Just make sure that your wiring for each sub agrees with the other one. Follow each terminal of the subs and make sure they go to the corresponding terminal of your box, and that each terminal from the box goes to the corresponding terminal of the amp. I know it sounds like something simple, but believe me, its something simple to overlook. Sorry if this was no help.
Ketel22 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
yeha actually while messing with the gains i touched each of the cones with one hand to check this
Quad L Handyman services
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic