icon

Mazda Protege door lock options

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Toru 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
I have a 1999 Protege with power locks. Everything I have read on this car says it is a single wire negative pulse system (ground to unlock, ground through 1kohm resistor to lock).
I have just removed an old unknown brand aftermarket keyless entry unit that did NOT use this connection method. Instead, the unlock output was connected to the single wire, but the lock output was connected to a relay was cut into the lock motor wire so that when energized, the lock motor wire was effectively cut and switched to +12V. I have no idea why an installer would go to this trouble rather than throwing a resistor in the mix.
I am going to install a new RKE unit, and I am wondering if I should use a resistor like all the wiring charts show, or re-use this interruptor relay?
If I use the resistor I am going to just tie both output wires (lock and unlock) from the RKE unit to the same point, just with one through a resistor?
Like so?
unlock
----------------\
lock             +--- to lock wire
--------\/\/\---/
        1kohm
douggie 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
Yep.
unlock
----------------\
lock             +--- to lock wire
--------\/\/\---/
        1kohm
This is correct. After you've connected both unlock and lock (lock - thru resistor) to the lock wire, you can ground the unlock wire it will unlock the doors. And when you ground the lock wire, it will lock the doors. Simple.
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  
what the other installer did use a 5 wire system on lock because obvoisuly he had no idea what the heck he was doing.  just do it hte way you said initially and you'll be good
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
Toru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks! Mazda Protege door lock options -- posted image.
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2004 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
glad to help
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
Toru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I've decided to install a Black Window 852 RKE. Now I'd like to install using the two-stage unlock feature.
Does anyone know offhand which wires I am looking for to control the driver's door lock motor directly?
The wiring chart here shows "red" and "blue" in the driver's kick panel as the driver's door motor, but I don't which wire I am supposed to intercept with the RKE. (The install diagram here (PDF) shows one of the wires to the door lock is cut and routed through the RKE, but which one?)
tongaray 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
i always use light green for unlock and 1kohm resistor on the light/green red for my locks
Toru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2004 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
tongaray said, "i always use light green for unlock and 1kohm resistor on the light/green red for my locks"
I know that if I ground the "light green and red" ALL doors will unlock, and if I ground the "light green and red" through a 1kohm resistor then ALL doors will lock. Is this "light green" wire the control wire for the driver's door actuator? Taking this to ground will cause ONLY the driver's door to unlock?
Toru 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I got this completed. I don't know what "light green" wire tongaray was talking about - the driver's door lock motor is blue and taking it to +12V causes it to lock.
douggie 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2004 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
Toru, so did you manage to get ONLY the driver's door to unlock? To provide +12v to the blue wire, you might need another button/channel on your remote to do this (maybe use the trunk pop if you're not using it)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic