Porsche 993 + Hornet 554T doors?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
col3man 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
"i didn't always have access and i had to test things for my self."
Hmm this sounds similar- so basically you're saying that it was okay for you to experiment, ask for help, fail, explore but me; I should consult a certified installer- yeah.... .. I'm deep into wiring on a saturday, I've got my multimeter, I'm doing my best.. Look, If I can buy a porsche with cash, i'm sure I can afford to take it to a place and have an alarm installed. It's that I, just like you, enjoy working on electronic projects-.. It's really a form of therapy for me.. I have to work at a computer all day and I need to work with my hands on my downtime.. I'm sure you understand-..
A few other things..
-The manual is really poor.. for the unlock and lock leads it basically says, "these colored leads are for the doors, hook them up" I need a bit more info -hence the list.
-Not to belittle your certification; but the last time I had a Clifford installed in my previous Carrera 4 by a certified installer at Tweeter Etc. in boston, it didn't work out too well for me.. I would turn on my right turn indicator and the horn would sound.. From that point on I figured I had enough aptitude to hook the horn lead to the the turn stalk and decided that the next alarm, I'd install.
-The 451M was $9 on ebay.. and from what I understand, the instructions with the unit are detailed in the different locking systems on various cars.. so, 9 bones to get the diagram and a working alarm is still worth it..
Col3man.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2004 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  

true enuff... the instructions that come with the 451M are comprehensive ... all you need to know is the location and polarity of the L/U wirees in the car... Is the 993 grey market?  I tried to look this info up for you and couldnt find it listed.....

Also, i can relate to the problems you had with your carrera... after a couple scr*w ups at the local MB dealership, i ended up doing most of the work on my E55 myself, even tho the car was still under warranty..... i took far more care taking things apart and putting them back together than the mechanic working on 10 like vehicles a day did..... i actually talked to him one time expecting him to be a car buff and appreciate the high end vehciles he was working on, only to have him tell me... " it's all just metal "     he couldnt care less whether it was a $100,000 E55 or a Pinto.... he just worked on whatever they stuck in front of him... that was the day i began doing things myself.... unfortunately there are a lot of car audio/security installers out there with the same attitude.... " it's all just metal"

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic