icon

Infinity KP 12.1D sealed or ported?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
Infinity KP 12.1D sealed or ported? -- posted image.
Yellow line is sealed with a 1.25 cubic ft box
White line is ported with a 2.0 cubic ft box tuned to 25Hz
Purple line is ported with a 2.0 cubic ft box tuned to 30Hz
Which would be the most desireable for an SQ application??
The 30Hz tuning has the highest SPL but will have a SSF at 19HZ.
The 25Hz tuning has lower SPL than the 30Hz but will have a SSF at 17Hz.
The seald had the lowest SPL and a SSF at 30.53 Hz.
Infinity KP 12.1D sealed or ported? -- posted image.
All things being equal (which they never are) I think tuning to 30Hz would be the most desireable, but you comments and suggestions are welcomed. Right now I'm running the sealed and just looking at a few options.
Paul
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  
Any elaboration??
Paul
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  

In general, sealed enclosures provide better transient performance and driver control at lower frequencies, closer to an "optimum" Qtc of 0.707 and more musical, less colored overall frequency response as well as better power handling capability resulting in a more protected driver.  SPL and effeiency are not as good as in a bass reflex design, but ports can "boom" at the tuning frequency and cause overall SQ to suffer.

To determine for what kind of enclosure a driver is best suited, calculate the effective bandwidth product, or "EBP."  EBP = Fs/Qes.  A EBP of 90 or higher indicates the driver is best suited for a ported (or bandpass, etc.) enclosure, and a low EBP of 50 or less indicates the driver is designed for a sealed application.  Drivers that fall into the range between 50 and 90 can be used in either with certain trade-offs of enclosure size, frequency response, etc.  The Kappa Perfect 12.1 is a good candidate for a sealed enclosure because of its relatively low Fs at 23.66Hz and average Qes of 0.39, resulting in an EBP of 60.66, which is a lot closer to 50 than it is to 90.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
bumped...because there is some valuable info I nearly didn't see.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
sealed if going for sq
Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
How bout if I just want a combo of SQ and SPL. Since I don't go to any competitions, I don't need to win any.
Paul
DYohn 
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Sealed.  I ran a Kappa Perfect 12.1 in a 1.2 cuft sealed enclosure for several years.  Fantastic SQ and decent SPL.  A sealed enclosure is the best match for the Perfect IMO.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
The Kappa Perfect 12.1 is a good candidate for a sealed enclosure because of its relatively low Fs at 23.66Hz and average Qes of 0.39, resulting in an EBP of 60.66, which is a lot closer to 50 than it is to 90.

The above should be considered the final answer.  "SPL or SQ?" shouldn't be an issue when you are seeking the best enclosure for any particular subwoofer.  "A combination of SQ and SPL" really means "loud SQ".  That shouldn't be too hard to get, once the SQ is achieved.  Whereas, if you were shooting for a SPL system, you would choose a sub more suitable for ported.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I'm with DYohn on that.  I'm running a Kappa 100.3 right now in a sealed (the box isn't even to exact infinity specs) and that thing sounds so nice.  Hits when it's suppose to and very little hangover.  It pounds with only 150 watts running to it.  A really good speaker for a sealed enclosure.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you seal it up.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic