icon

power delay with relays again

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tikech 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2002 at 3:26 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry about that first post, lets try again...

I just started working with relays and completed my first project tonight which makes my dome lights come on for 30sec when I turn off the car. Thank you to the12volt! Now I am moving on to a bigger project, I want my stereo to stay on after I turn off the ignition until I open a door. I read over all sorts of sites on relays and have a much better understanding, but I have been working on this for a few hours and I think I am going to pull out my hair. So far I think I need at least four relays but am not sure of the exact wiring needed. I think that the first SPDT should be wired like this;

85   ground
86   hot with ignition on
87   hot with ignition on
30   Stereo
87a  to 87a on relay 2

Then I think relay 2 should be as follows

85   ground from door (I think I will need a diode here to keep this and the dome light                                                           circuits separated.)
86   hot at all times
87   not used
30   to relay 3
87a in from relay 1

Once I open a door it will ground 86 on relay 2 and shut off the power to the radio, but how do I keep the radio off once the door closes. If you could take the time to help I would very much appreciate it. Also what size capacitor would be needed to power the radio during the switch from pole 87 to 87a on the first relay. Again thanks for your help in advance.

Ken

djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2002 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

this sounds all wrong what you want is to is take one relay and make it momentary to constant and what happens when you take the ground away for one sec it will shut off until power is givin to it again. i cant find diagram though so.

what you need  is to post another and subjest it as 12 volt help

Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
tikech 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2002 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

Jon,

Thanks for your response, I finally figured it out, you were right. But I had to add two more relays, one to break the ground when I open the door and one to inhibit it when the ignition is on.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic