icon

viper 791xv door locks problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dmcdlrn 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, so this is the second 791 I have installed.  I put one in my summer car, but this year I picked up a beater and put one in it as well cause I like the alarm.  This time when I did it I am having trouble with door locks.  I have a door lock system that has a white wire for unlock and a brown for lock.. both negative triggers.  Seems obvious that one would just hook them up to the appropriate alarm wires (which I did) and even diode isolated them from the positive pulse.  But.. for whatever strange reason they will lock, but not unlock, and sometimes it won't lock after trying to unlock.  So after messing around with it I found something that seems rather strange... the module is putting out a constant ground on blue I think (whichever is - unlock)  This seems like maybe the module is screwed up.

I'm about ready to go nuts.. everything else works great including remote start and arm and disarm, but I can't get that to work for the life of me.  I'm inches away from taking the cover off my other car and pulling the module out.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

You forgot the Obvious also:

YEAR, MAKE & Model of Vehicle

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
dmcdlrn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

oh well thats cause it doesn't matter... the power locks are after market.

But it is a 1993 subaru loyale 4WD

Locks work great if you touch the white or brown to the ground or to each other... but if you connect them to that remote its a different story...  I'm really concerned with the constant ground on the negative unlock wire!  Is this normal or is my module messed up... it doesn't seem to follow suit with the manual.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Some Aftermarket Doorlock Actuator Kits require a Stronger GROUND than the 791 puts out..............You may need 2 SPDT Relays to supply the GROUND Pulse
MO
dmcdlrn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
ok, thats something I can try... not sure that this is the case with mine... If I don't hook the unlock up to that crazy constant ground wire then it will always unlock... seems to me it has plenty of ground there to do that...  plus, the negative unlock that I speak of has a perfect 0 ohm resistance to ground... straight at the pin... meaning if I pull the harness and just test it at the module its grounded on that pin.
mo12v 
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
You may have verified the need for Relays by your Test of the LOCK / UNLOCK wires pulsed to Chassis Ground..............
Some units will give a Stronger Ground / Positive on LOCK or UNLOCK than the other LOCK / UNLOCK wire
MO
dmcdlrn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  

Ya, I can try that, but I'm still stuck on the concept of the unlock wire showing constant 0 ohm ground.  According to the manual that should offer a - pulse for unlock and a + pulse during lock.  But it doesn't.  I't just provides a constant ground.  If I touch either the lock or unlock wire to that wire on the harness it imediately locks/unlocks the doors and freezes my unlock system until I take it off that wire.

mo12v 
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
And is that with the Lock wire Hook up ??
MO
dmcdlrn 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

nope.  I can pull the little harness right out of the module and test it at the pins... and it shows ground at the pin.

mo12v 
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

791 will not know if you require POSITIVE or NEGATIVE Pulse until both wires are hook up:

Read:

http://www.directechs.com/techtips/pdfs/resources/security/directed_techtips/1041.pdf

MO
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic