How do I install a 2nd siren?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Reepicheep 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  

Ahhhh, nothing like the process of peer review to get to the bottom of things 

How do I install a 2nd siren? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Well, I'm going to try just hooking it up parallel first without any relays,,,,,, unless,,, anyone has any more afterthoughts  How do I install a 2nd siren? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Reep

wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  
Out of habit, I'd play it safe and use the relay...it's not like they cost an arm and a leg.
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
Reepicheep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

I'll take your wise advise "Wirewise".

But here is one more idea.  How about I just splice into my horn instead.  It might not sound as pretty, but who cares.  The only problem is if I don't use a relay, my alrm may sound off every time I honk my horn,,,,unless,,,,,I use a diode.

Hmmmm, or maybe I should just leave the wiring to the profesionals   How do I install a 2nd siren? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Reep

wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Reep, why not just add the relay and mount the siren inside the vehicle to do what you wanted to do in the first place? Connecting it with the horn is possible, but why would you want to do that?
~wirewise~ Verify all wiring with your meter before making any connections!
Reepicheep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2002 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

Well the whole idea is just to make some noise outside of the car.  It would be easier to use the horn (no mounting, and the wiring is already in place) and cheaper: I would have to purchase the siren and relay online ($20.00 with shipping/handling).

Reep

hot_shot_guy123 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2002 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  

you should have a siren outside to attract attention.  I have 5 sirens in total on my car now.  I have 1 hidden in the front of the car and 1 hidden towards the rear bumper.  The other three sirens are in my vents, they are mini piezo sirens (pain generators).  I would definetly use a relay.  If you wire up 2 normal size sirens in parallel you risk blowing the siren output of your alarm.  There's no fuse there unless you add one.  With a relay you could probably add 20 sirens with no problem.  Be safe and add a relay.

You are only as good as your worst install!!

Reepicheep 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2002 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  

5 sirens in your car sounds like overkill.  Do they all have seperate power supplies?  Because, all a thief has to do is pop the hood and yank the battery cable to dissable all the sirens you put in.  And if it's too loud, a car thief can actually sue you for damaging his eardrums - this happened in California.

Well, I tried to hook my horn up along with my interior siren.  It didn't work.  The horn made a little whimpering noise, and the siren sounded at half volume.  So I guess I'll go with the relay and siren.

Also, I'm relocating my hood release to prevent the situation I first mentioned.  Just call me parinoid. (and I have a cheap car, too :)

Reepicheep

hot_shot_guy123 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 17, 2002 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
I do have a seperate battery for my alarm, I figured that they would snip the cable to try to shut it off.  I have a dry cell, deep cycle batt for my alarm.  It is small so I hid it between the panels.  This battery has enough juice to start a camaro with a 350 in it.  It holds the charge very well.  Your hood release, are you talking about the one from inside or the one you have to move after you pop it from inside?  If you look from the front of the car can you see the cable(thru the grill) that goes to the hood lock?  I'd hide that too cause if you yank on that hard enough your hood will open.
bud 13 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2002 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
hot shot
does having the mini-sirens in the vents take away from your A/C or heat? i.e., hardly any air blowing? i was thinking about doing the same since i have my dash taken apart but i don't want to take away from the a/c( i can barely feel it as it is). and would you need a relay to add just one piezo? how about the battery powered back-up siren from DEI?
only in Cali can someone who broke into YOUR car sue you for damaging his or her hearing.
hot_shot_guy123 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2002 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Hi Bud

It all depends how you mount the piezo sirens.  My piezo sirens come through the internal ducts.  I had to cut a rectangular hole the size of the piezo so that it just barely enters the vent ducts on the inside.  I then sealed the area around the piezo.  It keeps the airflow flowing at its max.  If your adding 1 piezo then you don't need a relay.  The piezo uses about 1/ 3 the power of a normal siren.  About the DEI siren, are you thinking about having that one inside?  If you add that one you will have to have a relay.  The siren output is made really for only one (normal size) siren.  It's good to add a relay cause if down the road you want to add more sirens you can.  If you need any help with any of the siren set-up's just ask, I'll try to get back to you as soon as possible.

hot_shot_guy123

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic