How do I install a 2nd siren?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bud 13 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2002 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
hot shot
i want to add the piezo in the vents like you did and a battery powered siren under the hood. i already found a place to put it, it requires some removing of parts but this should make it harder for a thief to get at. i'm thinking about using metal conduit to protect the wire from being cut. about the battery who makes it and how small is it? the size of a VHS cassette? a pack of cards?
hot_shot_guy123 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2002 at 11:05 PM / IP Logged  

Hi bud

The battery is a little bit bigger than a video cassette and the brand is "Odyssey"  I came across it at a local starter and alternator shop.

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2002 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Hotshot - I just posted a question yesterday with a PS about piezio "pain generators," and now, here's someone who has used them! Where did you find them? I'm adding a horn honk and something like a piezio in my cab. I want as much attention on my truck as possible when it goes off! How do I install a 2nd siren? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
/NyxBass
hot_shot_guy123 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2002 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hi NyxBass - I purchased the piezo's from a shop in Canada called The Speed Of Sound.  If you go to any stereo shop that does alarms, they should be able to get you some.  There are a few different brands of piezos on the market.  Make sure you get the ones made by DEI.  You will notice that if you install 1 piezo inside your truck that it is barable.  I had one in mine then I decided to add 2 more.  Now you feel it big time in your ear.  They have a wierd tone that makes you cringe like when someone scratches a chalk board.  You can check online here http://www.autopreservers.com/security/acc/513t.htm they sell them.  Any more questions about them jusk ask How do I install a 2nd siren? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

Have you thought about getting an air horn for your alarm instead of using your factory horn?  They are louder than any siren.

hot_shot_guy123

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2002 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I've thought about an air horn, the problem being that 1) they are big, and take lotsa power. Meaning, a backup battery's not going to last too long with it goign off. Also, most air horns work off of a tank, and when that tank's pressure get low, they kinda just sound... "deflated"...as you can imagine. Not very scary or impressive, or even attention getting. I have thought about an electronic air horn, but I'm not to the point of needing that much security or spending that much $. Thanks for the piezio info though!
/NyxBass
bud 13 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2002 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
two piezos it is then, i wouldn't need a relay would I since they only use about 1/3 the power of a regular siren.
hot_shot_guy123 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2002 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

Well since your using more than one piezo, you might get away without using a relay.  I didn't use a relay at first when I had 1 external siren and 1 piezo.  When I got my other piezo's and my other external siren, that's when I wired up a relay.  I tried to keep away from using a relay at first cause I was afraid to hook up one wrong, but after asking questions on here, I put one in.  Easier to do then I first thought and it gives you piece of mind knowing that you won't blow your siren output due to excessive current draw.  Just to be on the safe side, I'd put one in.  If you want I can try to send you a diagram of how my sirens are hooked up.  Just leave your e-mail

hot_shot_guy123

bud 13 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2002 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
hot shot
my email is jcmelendez@hotmail.com and thanks for the info. finally going to finish the window project saturday in my cousins garage.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic