icon

Who’s Who?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I guess it is my turn, even though no one will probably read this thread anymore, but oh well. Well, my name is Alex,... Duke, where is where DukeDuke comes from(just what everyone calls me) I am 19 and in college with a major in EE, my days of wanting to figure out how things work and how they are put together started when I was probably 3 or 4, about a month or two after Christmas, when my parents had bought me one of those little cars for kids, my dad had takin the battery out so I couldn't drive it, because I had done something bad, and I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work, so when he got home, needless to say, it still would never be able to be driveable, there were about 5000 parts on the garage floor and it was totally apart. I always wanted to build with my hands. So I guess around the age of 6 or 7, I wanted to learn how the entertainment center in our basement worked, which was a very complex system, so I took it apart about 5 or 6 times, pissing my dad off even more each time. Around age 16, I started driving my moms car for a little bit, which is when the Car Audio started, I bought my first subs, 2 Kenwood 10's in a bandbass for $100.00, and wired them to the rear deck(didn't have an amp at the time, did it ghetto style) then I bought my amp, a Planet Audio 600/4 for $350.00, what a rip off. Oh well, it still works today, 5 yr warrenty which is why I bought it. Untill I fried the subs by bridging the amp for the 10's. Then I got into GS Redline's, I bought one brand new in a custom ported box for $275.00. Which is the 3rd time I got ripped off, I started using the internet, and found the sub for $100.00, this is one pretty good sub if you want cheap. Then I started interning here at a shop in Chattanooga, did that for about 3 months until one of the installers started some drama, then I went over to tweeter and hung out there. I am just starting a SQ system, which I hope will be awesome, I do ask a lot of questions, I am 19, I am inexperienced, but I will help anyone out with the information I have, I have probably installed 40-50 HU's, 10-20 Amps and as for Video, alarms, remote start, I am still wanting to try it, so I will probably try it on my new car! Thanks for all the great help you guys have given me, I am sorry if this is long, but just thought you could get to know me. Thanks everyone!

Duke Duke
firstclassohio 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2004 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
You know I have been reading posts on this site for about a year now and finally decided to sign on today. I feel honored to be a part of this site and hope to help anyway I can. I have been in the automotive business since 1993. I started working for Classic Soft Trim in Cleveland Ohio. I worked for them for several years. They transferred me to Grand Rapids Michigan to open a new location and train new leather installers. We then branched out to Power sunroofs and seat heaters. I left them to join a competitor that specialized in Sunroofs, Simulated tops and windshield replacement. I worked for that company for a year and left them to work for a one stop shop. There I learned automotive electronics and truck accessories. I worked as an installer and sales manager for two years. I now own one of the franchises. I have two stores located in Ohio that have been open for five years. I am willing to help anyone accross the board with anything from custom interior work to remote starters.
under promise and overdeliver
Focusdsound 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2004 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
My name is Mike Johnson.  I have worked in car audio for 11 years now and currently work for C.A.R. Audio and Security in Wendell NC soon to be Wake Forest NC.  I have done DB Drag vehicles, was a IASCA judge although I never got called to judge anything so I guess i was a IASCA judge wanna be(LOL).  Previously I worked for Creative Acoustics  with Jay Lovelace who i am sure some of you are familiar if you follow DB Drag.  We just finished our shop project vehicle this last month.  1986 Astro with 12 JL w3's, 6 500/1, 3 300/2, 3 sets of XR650, 13" Concept monitor, Clarion DVD and CD Player, Clarion EQ, Custom Fiberglass Console and door panel inserts,  air bag load leveling suspension, custom neon kit,  strobes,  and a Xenon Body Kit. 
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2004 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Some very impressive folks on this site! Me, well I'm 33 and have been in and around audio since high school. Growing up in Phx in the early days was great. Rockford a mile from Orion, PPi was in a one and a half story warehouse maybe 7,500sq. Later Wrangler Power Products moved in. Some very cool, then unkown guys, who were more than happy to help us dumb kids! The bug has been with me ever since. Now with ebay I can afford the cool toys of days past!
Learned everything I could from anyone willing to help. Many home tweek friends mixed with SPL junkies. Accutons didn't last in the car. Now I design, build, and install professional audio/ broadcast video/ control racks and occasionally a live sound engineer. Now they give me 50,000W and a line array. Yes 120 db is very impressive, especially at 100 feet away surrounded by 5000+ people! This site is a Golden Assest to the Automotive Aftermarket Industry!
TAudio 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2004 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

Joining the vast number of replys,  I am currently an intaller for Circuit City formaly (no cutom shops around here ever seem to be hiring), but I do a lot of cutom work on the side since our insurance at CCity won't let us do it under their name.  I have been installing profesionllay  for 1 year but started serious installing a little over 3 years ago when a friend asked me to build and install a custom trunk with all the gear.  Unfortunately myself and my custom clients aren't quite rich enough yet to afford competiotion systems, but I am getting online with a local custom shop to get equipment and parts at cost so hopfully in the near future I will be building one.  All of my knowlege has been gained through personal experience, a few exelent books, and of course there is always something to learn here at  the12volt.com.  All in all I'm pretty good but still have a lot to learn.

If quiters never win, and winners never quit, who the heck came up with the idea that you should quit while your ahead?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
Here is my two cents on it all. My name is Anthony (For security reasons leave the last name out). I have been selling, installing, and testing car audio equipment for years and i have enjoyed it every step of the way. I own a 2002 Ford Explorer and it is my baby. I am a big Oakland Raiders fan so i got it custom painted to Silver and Black, with a raiders license plate on the front. My interior is now silver and black, along with my dashboard, steering wheel, and seats. My car stereo consists of:
  • 1 Nakamichi CD-45z Head Unit (Fantastic HU - excellent sound quality)
  • 1 Cadence ZRS-4 Amplifier (125x4 RMS @ 4 ohms this thing is a beast for midrange)
  • 2 Cadence CVL-6K components (Loud as hell with extreme SQ capabilities)
  • 1 Cadence ZRS-9 Amplifier (1500 W x 1RMS @ 2 ohms, or 2200 W x 1 RMS @ 1 ohm)
  • 2 12'' Adire Audio Brahma MK II
  • Optima Yellow Top Battery
  • 200+ Amp High Output Alternator
  • Lots and Lots of 0 guage
  • 2 0 guage Distribution Blocks
  • 3 sets of Monster Cable RCA's
Let me tell you, this equipment bangs insanely hard , while maintaining premier SQ. Bar none, this is the best install i have ever done or heard, outside of MECA SQ systems (No Zapco here!). I am a great person to ask advice from, and i love helping out!

Tony
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
maaudio1 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

I guess I'll go next. I have been to this site several times but never registered.

My name is also Anthony. I'm 33 years old and work as a car salesman for the last 4 years. I have been into car stereos since I was 15 years old.

I recently decided to do a system in my 2004 Mazda 6s that has Bose stereo. So I bought a MA1250W 12" sub and an HK297 amplifier. And I am very pleased.

Future plans include redoing the entire Blose stereo. Just waiting on Scosche to finish their dashkit for this car.

2004 Mazda 3s Hatchback
2- MTX 4500 8" subs powered by MTX 251D
meef 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
a fellow employee of circuit city showed me this site...thought id give it a shot and learn some stuff while im at it. lots of good reads and questions answered on here.
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Well here goes me... even though i'm pathetic compared to most of the people on the board. I've been installing car audio for about 2 years in my driveway and then proceeded to get a job at Best Buy 3 months ago since it was a block away and my friends stoppped wanting to pay me to do work on their cars.. i've been working on cars all my life.. grew up with a father and uncle who raced drag cars so thats how i got into that. i've been into electronics since i was little and currently am studying at Drexel University for my degree in Electronics Engineering with a minor in computer engineering and i hope to work designing hardware once i graduate... ... prepares for best buy flame...
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2004 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
First, its an honor to post up with such installers that frequent this site. the12volt rocks!
My names Gary 24. Installing for 4 years now. Currently working for a high-end shop called International Motoring Inc. in Pasadena,Ca. Started out as a technician for Honda. Got tired of being a grease monkey. Worked for Circuit $#ity for 3+ years. Now I work on high-end celeberity owned cars....and get paid peanuts. So if you guys have job openings for a experianced fiberglass inhailer and professional bondo sander. Let me know.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Page of 16

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic